Art criticism process:
1)Describe what you see
2)Analyze using art terms
My critique: I see a jewelry tray with a monogram in the center. I started with a tray mold and put clay on top of the tray to get the perfect fit. I cut the outside of the tray to make a smooth outline for the tray. Water was my key component to making the tray smooth. Once the tray was smooth I put it in the kiln. The tray cooled down after a few days and then I engraved my initials with a pencil and then put the glaze on top and then back in the kiln. The monogram is used as the focal point of the piece which draws your eye to the center.. I used a shiny paint for the polka dots and a basic acrylic for the monogram. Overall I believe I could have taken a little more time on the polka dots because once they went in the kiln the polka dots blended together. The sides of the tray could be a lot smoother. This piece overall went ok.
1. What is art?- Art is a way people express themselves through colors and shapes. Art is a way people portray their culture and beliefs.
4. What are some reasons why artists make art?-Artists make art to get a message through without having to use words. Colors and shapes can resemble thousands of things. Color choice can display different feelings and emotions. Different shapes can make pieces lighter and heavier.
7. What is the point of this class? What did you get out of it? - The point of this class was to learn how to use different techniques and other materials to make art. This class really opened my eyes to other types of art.
2. How is your piece successful and what might you change if you were to do it again?
I would definitely choose an easier pattern, this pattern took a lot more time and energy then the others around me. The finished project was a lot more delayed due to the amount of detail this piece had. The detail in this piece took a lot more time than expected and i never realized what i was getting myself into.
1. I plan to paint the base black, with accents of pink on the roses and the balls. The inside will be gold with black balls. Once the base is dry i'm going to add white polka dots.
2. The most difficult part about this was the roses because it was hard to make them light enough so the top doesn't sink.
3.The base is one of my favorite parts because it's very smooth and round.
4. I started out with a flattened piece of clay and i rounded it around a pole and made the base. I scored and slipped a bunch of small balls and handles on to the base. I made the top and scored and slipped roses onto the top and then fired it in the kiln.